Power in disappointmet

I don't think anyone wants to be disappointed, but if we look at disappointment that it can be a blessing in disguise, I believe there would be a greater sense of understanding, that not all things are going to work to our advantage right off the bat, or that what we think is good for us, really isn't.

I'm thinking about times I have been disappointed throughout my life. I've also thought of times when I have disappointed others, realizing that I wasn't meant to be either in their lives or they in mine, or the timing wasn't right. I am currently providing therapy for a eight year old, boy, who can't seem to let go of the idea that when someone does him wrong, he is entitled to stay angry about it all day long, even into his evening. At eight years old, life is unfair, in fact, life is always unfair, but, at what point do we come to the realization that life is full of disappointments, but, we don't need to stay angry and hurt all day long, even carrying it into our evening. (Rest of our lives).

The power I am speaking of is understanding that you don't have to allow an unfair situation keep you from looking forward or ahead in life. Sometimes when something unfair happens, ie, denied something that you want, it can be a blessing in disguise.  Looking back at those things that I thought was a disappointment turned out to be a blessing. I loved and lived with a man for 12 years and it was an emotionally abusive relationship, but, I wanted to be married to him and have a family. Now, that we are no longer together and I am emotionally healthy, I can see that being married to him wouldn't have been a blessing, at all, but, a nightmare and I could have carried the emotion of disappointment with me well into other relationships. I could have given my power to the disappointment allowing it to feed and make my life unbearable.

When life seems to throw you a disappointment, try to take a step back and not give power to the emotion of sadness or anger. Allow the process to happen, and give yourself a chance to let what the real blessing is meant to be-happen. You have the power and its in them shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment