My birthday month and I'm feeling empowered!

Typically, most women don't want to celebrate their birthdays. They don't want to recognize they are getting another year older and that life is passing them by, or that they haven't accomplished everything they wanted in life.

I love my birthdays. Usually when November 1st hits, I am excited. I am living with much anticipation of what is to come, not just for the day, but, for another year of life. I always celebrated my birthday. Usually with cake and ice cream and my parents singing Happy Birthday to me and this year will be no different, except, my father has been dead for 12 years and in honoring him on my day, I buy a small white cake (he liked white cake) and usually at around dinner time, 5 or 6 pm, I spend time with him, hearing him sing Happy Birthday to me.

I saw a movie today, Last Vegas with Michael Douglas, Robert DeNiro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline. It was a great movie and there is a line where Michael Douglas's character, Billy, says that he is old and to be with a younger woman made him feel young again. Seventeen was just a few years ago, and then you turn around and its gone. (I paraphrased that). But, I so know what he means, but, I am enjoying this process of maturing and becoming wiser as I age. Certain things no longer matter and the responsibilities I have no longer seem so insurmountable, but very doable, they aren't responsibilities, they are a part of life. Becoming wiser and more mature, means realizing that I have the POWER to be and do and have and no longer accept what I don't want in my life. Since I turned 40 and every year I've been blessed to receive, I have come to realize that certain things are no longer that important and I can have my life anyway I want it. If I want to be unhappy, I can be, and it is unfair for me to ask others to join in my pity parties, so, I chose to be happy, but not just content. I want more than what I have, meaning, I want better than what I have and still thoroughly enjoy what I do have, I just more of it. :-) and I can make it that way, because I know that I am empowered to do so. I don't need someone else to give me what I want, its a lot more fun when I can share it with my loved ones, friends and family, but, I am okay being alone, because I'm not lonely. I can say, I love myself and mean it, and honestly say, I like who I am and where I am going in my life, because I, by the Grace of God, am able to do so.

I will be 46 years old on the 21st of November and every day this month I am celebrating my life by doing things I want to do when I want to do it. I am no longer neglecting myself or putting me on the back burner, done that for a while now. So, I am challenging myself and I am challenging you, no matter how old you are, create a bucket list. I'm redoing my bucket list and by the time I turn 50 there will be things I will accomplish, because I can. Because there is power in my shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment